Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Cockatiel about to hatch

Cockatiel egg in incubator is about to hatch and I took a video.clip.

You can hear the chick chirping from inside the egg. The 1st and 2nd LOUD chirps you hear is ME! chirping to the chick and then you will hear the chick chirping --(is it chirping back to me its new MUM :lol:?)

Here's a link to YouTube

https://youtu.be/byWdWFJ7R7c

Emmy

ps please just ignore the  Chihuahua -Rabelou- barking -big bark tiny dog(lol)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Emmy said:

Cockatiel egg in incubator is about to hatch and I took a video.clip.

You can hear the chick chirping from inside the egg. The 1st and 2nd LOUD chirps you hear is ME! chirping to the chick and then you will hear the chick chirping --(is it chirping back to me its new MUM :lol:?)

Here's a link to YouTube

https://youtu.be/byWdWFJ7R7c

Emmy

ps please just ignore the  Chihuahua -Rabelou- barking -big bark tiny dog(lol)

Oh that is brilliant Emmy :yahoo:

anytime now :good:

yea know exactly what yer mean about the dog.....lols....... I've got a long haired black & white foxy chihuahua, all bark but when confronted completely S##t scared :rofl: :lol:......lols

be lucky 

Been some afternoon!!!!! there was no further progress with the cockatiel chick hatching so I put it in 'Buddy' to check its heart beat and its  heart beat had dropped from over 300 beats to 70 beats I had a feeling it was probably stuck in the shell because it was more than 24 hours since it first started to pip but I left it for another 30 minutes and checked the heart beat again and it was down to 50 so  I intervened and helped it out from the shell - it is a BIG chick and it was stuck to the membrane and -I can laugh now- when I had got it out from the shell I chirped to it --it was still chirping back to me (lol) I left it for about an hour in the incubator without doing anything to it so it could rest. I then had to use a damp cotton bud  to try to release one of  its wings which was stuck firmly to its head then one of the legs had to be done too. (I honestly felt it could be doing with being  put in a bath and given a good soak :obut I knew  that wasn't  possible, so I guess it has to be a bit at a time.

I've got the brooder ready and  I've  just given it 2/3 drops of warm coconut water (works the same as electrolyte)  to stop it becoming dehydrated - Think I'll need to name this one 'Chirpy' (lol)

I have taken a photograph of the chick but haven't had time to download it yet- unfortunately I didn't get any photographs of helping  it out from its shell I was too busy concentrating on saving the chick and 'camera' never entered my head.

I'll update later - guess its time for me to have a coffee.  ;)

Emmy

• Like 1

It's now 7 pm and I've finally finished cleaning Chirpy. The worst part to do was removing a large part of the membrane that was stuck over its eye but it looks nice now and it is still chirping away.

I'll wait until later on before I give it  any formula. Think all it needs now is rest and quiet -- me too ;) :lol:

Just hope Chirpy survives now - keeping my fingers crossed.

Emmy

18th June 'chirpy' just hatched pm resized.jpgChirpy nice and clean now:good:

• Like 1

Chirpy just had its first proper feed (used a crop tube) but didn't over feed it. 

I'm thinking I'll let its crop empty more than just once a day to begin with.  Though it will probably need another feed about 2.30am /  3 am. 

Tomorrow I'm going to make it a little 'comforter' for it to snuggle into- the small teddy bear that I used for the quail/ duckling is just a wee bit too big although Chirpy was trying to snuggle into it. (lol)   Just a pity the parrot's egg hadn't hatched out at the same time they would have got on fine snuggling into each other (lol)

Meantime everything is looking good.  (parrot egg is still OK with good heart beat:good:)

photo of Chirpy after its first feed all snuggled up in the brooder.

June 18th 2017 11.15 pm Chirpy cockatiel chick.jpg

8 hours ago, Emmy said:

Chirpy just had its first proper feed (used a crop tube) but didn't over feed it. 

I'm thinking I'll let its crop empty more than just once a day to begin with.  Though it will probably need another feed about 2.30am /  3 am. 

Tomorrow I'm going to make it a little 'comforter' for it to snuggle into- the small teddy bear that I used for the quail/ duckling is just a wee bit too big although Chirpy was trying to snuggle into it. (lol)   Just a pity the parrot's egg hadn't hatched out at the same time they would have got on fine snuggling into each other (lol)

Meantime everything is looking good.  (parrot egg is still OK with good heart beat:good:)

photo of Chirpy after its first feed all snuggled up in the brooder.

June 18th 2017 11.15 pm Chirpy cockatiel chick.jpg

Yer doing well Emmy,

fair play to yer because I sure know that it ain't easy, to be honest that's why I don't do it meself because I know that it can be so tiring, stressful and definitely time consuming,

good on yer though for sheer determination and effort  :hi:

Thanks Stuart -You should see and hear it this morning -- its even climbed out from the little nest box I had for it and its looking all fluffy and yellow too. I'm having no bother with the feeding either.  (Had only one feed during the night at 3 am)

So I couldn't have asked for more.

Thanks for  showing an interest.

Emmy

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stuart whiting said:

Sounds like that yer doing very well Emmy,

all yellow and fluffy  :D is he / she a lutino B)

thanks for sharing 

I've no idea what colour it will be and to be honest don't even know which pair are the parents.  I've hand reared a number of them but this is the first one that I've hand reared that keeps chirping to me (lol)

Emmy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Emmy said:

I've no idea what colour it will be and to be honest don't even know which pair are the parents.  I've hand reared a number of them but this is the first one that I've hand reared that keeps chirping to me (lol)

Emmy

Ladies best freind " chirpy " the Cockatiel :D.....lols

• Like 1

Hi Emmy

I see you are taking on another challenge ,hope chirpy does well as I'm sure with your expertise it will. Look forward to next update.

Hi Dave

'Chirpy' so far is doing really well but  it's still early days yet. Comical though how it keeps chirping to me when I lift it up - My next project will have to be to learn a new language-  "Bird Talk" :lol:

This is Chirpy 3 days old

20th June (6).JPG

Damaged Parrot egg-- still getting a strong heart beat:good:

Emmy