Nick1986

Hi to all the members

Hi just wanted to say hello to everyone as just joined the site.

I've kept a variety of finches for a few years now in a large aviary and had some good breeding success. But I am now going to attempt some exhibition type zebra finch breeding. I have got myself some breeders and am trying to find some birds to get me started. I have a large fawn hen which could be a good start for me. Any info on cage breeding would be great i know the basics from my aviary. I am hoping to do a few shows in the near future but a complete novice. How to tame them, when to move the young out, would putting them back in the aviary make them skitty in the cage again? Thanks to all who takes the time to read my post.

Nick

• Like 1

Hi Nick and welcome to the Forum.

Good to hear you are looking at Exhibition side of hobby. Where do you live? there could well be an Exhibitor member in your area who could help you with birds of the right type.

I'm into showing myself and have 16 cages but not necessarily all being used as breeder cages because fledged babies need somewhere to be housed.

If you have the type of cages with a small door at top front for nest box attachment then you can use external nest boxes (I use cardboard ones) but have used DIY plywood ones.

I find that by placing Babies in training cages about 3-4 times a week for an hour at a time once they have been in the Stock cages for 2 weeks or so they will eventually calm down, though I've never tried to tame any but a friend of mine does have his chicks finger tame.

Move chicks away from parents at about 35 days plus and if you can check that they are all feeding themselves by this time. (I lost two this year after 3 days of separation so I'm thinking to go past 35 days just to be on safe side) If you put them in an aviary after the training period you will probably have to retrain them a month or so before any show and you will also have to catch them up too. (much easier from a cage)

I hope other members will join in and give you their ideas and experiences and ask away with any questions, there is a wealth of knowledge on here so I'm sure they will get answered.

Andyn

Andyn thankyou so much for your reply that's a great help. I am in Northamptonshire but easy reach to Warwickshire and Oxfordshire also. What is the difference with a training cage? And I sure I will have loads of questions along the way so thanks I just joined zfs yesterday so I await my starter pack

4 hours ago, Nick1986 said:

Andyn thankyou so much for your reply that's a great help. I am in Northamptonshire but easy reach to Warwickshire and Oxfordshire also. What is the difference with a training cage? And I sure I will have loads of questions along the way so thanks I just joined zfs yesterday so I await my starter pack

a training cage is the same as the show cage, some people use their older show cages to train their birds in so not to dirty and use the "BEST" show cages. All your using the cage for is to get the birds used to sitting on the perch, so that on show day the judges can see them. Normally when you put a bird in the cage they just sit on the floor, so putting them in show/training cage (10 to 15 minutes a day leading upto an event) starts getting them to sit on the perch and basically pose :D

Lee is correct about old show cages but I have an 8 cage fold up block which my Babies go into for training.

DSCF0153.JPG 

• Like 1

Nick,

When you get your welcome pack the ZFS 2016 year book should be in it. In the back 3-4 pages is a list of members. So read through and find ones who you would be able to visit. Drop them a line or search for telephone number and see if they can accommodate a visit and maybe sales etc. We do have a members map in the top line of buttons so maybe have a look on there too.

If you come down this way for holiday you could Private Message me and visit if you want.

Another way to buy birds is via courier which costs I think £45 but you have to rely on the integrity of the seller of course, and this is quite a common way for us to buy and sell. Also look at the Forum's Exchange and Sales.

Hope that helps

That's a nice setup there Andy. With double breeders do you have the divide in it and have 2 pairs or take it out and give one pair more space? Funny you should say that I am in chudleigh on 13th may is that anywhere near? Also how is the best way to upload photos as the ones I have on my phone are to big to upload

• Like 1

For breeding purposes I would divide into two. I use Orni-ex cages which fit together in a row of four, the next row fit onto the tops of the row below. If you went onto Supapets website you would find them under plastic cages- http://www.supapets-online.co.uk/463-plastic-breeding-cages-and-accessories

Chudleigh is about 5-6 miles from me so quite easy.

If you PM me we can arrange a visit. 

Think you have to be an active member with posts before you can post photos. 4MB is max size you can post, so if you can download your phone photos to PC and reduce in size to approx 640 x 480 pixels that should work just fine. This is one I use- https://pixlr.com/editor/

They look like good cages will have to invest in some soon. Sounds good to me will drop you a pm nearer the time if you are sure? Can I ask another question...what would the outcome be with a sex linked hen and resessive cock?

Got this hen today not 100% on what she is a bit light for a fawn I think? I have a white cock in with her and wondered What potential outcomes could be?

20170414_225031.jpg

Nick,

When you say sex linked hen are you talking about the hen (assuming) in your #2 photo and mated to the White (Pied) cock?

The answer to that is probably 'Lucky Dip' If the White cock is a 'Normal White Pied' you would probably have Normal Chicks split for White (Pied) and possibly cream (assuming again) but if he is carrying other genes it could be different outcome. I think the hen in #1 photo is possibly a Cream which is a dilute of fawn. I don't know a great deal about Dilutes I'm afraid.

If your pair hen is carrying any Pied genes you would get Pied, White, and any other colours. (that's the thing with not knowing pedigree of 1st birds, you just don't know what to expect until it happens.:o

I have had Normal chicks turn up with white flight feathers and bib from visual Normals so the Pied gene has been dormant for years and my pairings have brought it together.(you wouldn't be able to show them as either Normal or Pied) but would be a good stock bird to improve on Pied size next year etc.

On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 21:02, Andyn said:

For breeding purposes I would divide into two. I use Orni-ex cages which fit together in a row of four, the next row fit onto the tops of the row below. If you went onto Supapets website you would find them under plastic cages- http://www.supapets-online.co.uk/463-plastic-breeding-cages-and-accessories

Chudleigh is about 5-6 miles from me so quite easy.

If you PM me we can arrange a visit. 

Think you have to be an active member with posts before you can post photos. 4MB is max size you can post, so if you can download your phone photos to PC and reduce in size to approx 640 x 480 pixels that should work just fine. This is one I use- https://pixlr.com/editor/

Hi Andy in your row of 4 cages can you open them all out to be one long cage?

Yes, I just take the dividers out. (putting them in whilst in use as a stock cage means you have to clean the runner out first or if the divider will slide push the cage bedding out the back)

On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 21:02, Andyn said:

Picked up 2 CFW Cocks and 2 Hens today hens carrying a bit of colour on there head and breast have a more washed out cock hoping that will take that out of the hens

20170423_193338.jpg

20170423_193357.jpg

A clean headed CFW hen is quite a rarety. The grey normally goes away with age. It is an acceptable point in the show standard which is worded Hens may have grey on head.

Do you have ring numbers so you know who bred them etc.?

Good luck with them Nick.

Hi Nick,

I have some CFW photos from 3 years ago and some of last year birds. I hope they help.DSCF0735.JPGthese were in a temp photo cage

101_0631.JPG these were part of sales advert

No unfortunately not the parents were but the person who bred them didn't get the rings in time. They are early this year's birds so won't be breeding till next year with them. Allan beattie a bloke from Scotland bred the parents that's as much as I know

Allan is on this forum and he is a Champion Exhibitor so they should be good pedigree. Do you know anything about the CFWs you bought?