Ricky

Breeding

I have a question about breeding a pair of zebra finches, could someone help? The pair has started to build a nest and sleep together in it every night. How long after they build the nest would the female lay eggs? Or do they build nests sometimes just because? Thank you so much. Ricky 

I would say there is no set time some hens will lay very quickly and some never it really all depends on the individual pair have you seen the cock treading the hen yet 

On another zebra finch forum I am on someone recently asked the same question and was told ~9 days.

However, my personal experience (which is still fairly limited) is more in line with Allan - some pairs will not produce at all but pair them with other mates and they are producing immediately.  I do think that on average the process takes less time if the finches are in breeding condition before they are put together with a nest.  In order to get them in breeding condition I provide them with daily portions of sprouted seed or eggfood and appropriate lighting for the month beforehand.

I'm not to sure what treading means Allan, the male does sing and chirp a lot when he is with and around the female. He pretty much is always right next to her, they are definetly a pair I guess whether they breed or not. They have packed there nest very full of hay and toilet paper. The male is becoming bald/naked on both sides of his chest, kinda under his wings. There are no loose feathers in cage, I'm assuming he is pulling them out and they are in the nest? What can I do to help him, food etc. or is this process normal. I really wouldn't want to separate them, I feel they would become very depressed if I did that. 

Thank you so much for the info. 

Treading means mating this is the kind of these that gets me into bother because I am a firm believer in the question you are asking is something that should have been researched long before you gave them a nest box sorry just my opinion

Toilet paper is not a good nesting material I use meadow grass and coconut fiber make sure they have Cuttlefish and possibly liquid calcium as well along with eggfood there is a link for a good one on here somewhere or you can buy premixed ones hope this helps

• Like 1

I buy children's feather bowa's  from home barging's,  give them a wash in just boiling water and dry them. then strip the feathers off an put them in the bottom of the cage.. seems to help with plucking.  i like Allan use soft meadow or timothy hay it's cheep from pets at home. if you put the nest box on for your birds to sleep in Ricky? there really is no need as 95% of zebs sleep on the perch!!! an only use nest box's to raise chick's. if you put a nest box on at any time of year an you have a cock and a hen they will invariably  breed......

• Like 1

I guess it depends on the nest and finches? My finches tend to lay very quickly. So about 2-3 days and sometimes I think  it can be the same day or the next day!