InleGM

Breeding: Please help

I'll start this off with a few things. First, I reside in Colorado. Second, I am a new bird owner so I don't feel like I'm doing much right. (Also, I'll underline my main points. I tend to ramble a bit)

I was gifted a lovely pair of Zebra Finches (one male (Neo) and one female (Dot), I'm positive on this) along with a cage (12 in x 11 in I believe). I've only had them for 2 months(ish) and already they've laid 3 clutches separate clutches. So onto the problem:

Why do they keep nudging the eggs out of the nest?

They aren't fully throwing them (though that's what happened with the first clutch), just pushing them to the outer rings of the nest aka no longer sitting on them. They aren't burying, cracking or otherwise harming the eggs but she is continuing to lay eggs regardless. I don't know if I should remove the old eggs, as they don't smell like they're rotting nor has it been 20 days, yet she hasn't been laying on them. I don't want to remove them if they have a chance, but I can't tell if they're dead. There have also been several behavioral things I have noticed. Such as, at night, they used to sleep snuggled up to each other. Now they don't. Dot has a tendency to stop sitting on the eggs after about 7 days. Even if they're still positioned in the center, I haven't messed with them- anything like that. It's as if she forgets and/or stops caring.

Before you suggest things, I have tried the following:

1. Making sure they have plenty of calcium (eggshells and grit)

2. I give them new food (standard), water (nutrient enriched) and snacks (from veggies to fruits, fresh and dried) on a daily basis.

3. They have tried to bury their eggs. So I stopped giving them new nesting materials and have removed some from the nest (this was in between clutches). The eggs aren't just rolling away.

My concerns:

1. Interaction. I have cats and I don't want to get rid of my birds or my cats  (no the cats can't get near them) so my solution has been a pully system up at the ceiling. Meaning, I do have to lower them while I tend to the cage, I do this daily. They do get scared, though I've heard they're just naturally skittish animals. But if that's what has been causing this, I can try to interact with them less. On this note, I've also given more time to adjust to the movement before sticking my hand in and ensuring neither are in the nest at the time so they havent been freaking     out too bad.

2. Sleeping. Due to the conditions of my house, they've had to be placed in my room and I will admit, I stay up late. In short, the bird's usual sleep schedule is 5-6 hours (1 am to dawn) then later in the day, another 5-6 hours (sundown to 9-10 pm) So about.... 10-12 hours of sleep each day. I KNOW this is bad for them though I don't know how to change it. As they're too skittish to put a blanket over their cage. (Last time I tried, they panicked for a solid 10 minutes and then I just removed it) also, yes, Ive tried laying it on top and slowly, for about 3 hours, fully moving it to cover the cage but they just don't calm down. If that's it..... How can I get them accustomed to the cover?

3. Traffic. I'll also admit, I am almost constantly in my room, so are my dog and 2 cats so i suppose it is a high traffic area. Though we don't make too much noise, honestly and the birds are raised up to the ceiling. I could also move them from my room. However the other room is quite cold (I suppose I could fix that if needed)

4. She is laying... And laying FAST. I've only had them for about 2 full months and already she's had 3 clutches (2 with 3 eggs, 1 with 4). I don't know if that's healthy or not.

5. They have been drinking a lot. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything. Though before they'd only drink 1/2 the container, now they drink a full one.

6. They have both tossed and eaten a few eggs in previous clutches. Now, however, I think I've remedied those issues.

Other then that, I don't know. If anyone can provide help, even a little bit. Please let me know.

-Inle

(Other side note: if they find the chance to have a successful clutch, where may I find information about banding? and/or do rules on that change depending on the state)

Hi InleGM

First I'd like to say Welcome to the forum.

There's a few things I could give you advice on but I hope others will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. You didn't say the height of your cage but in my opinion you do need a larger cage for them.

It's not a good thing if they start to eat their eggs- could become a bad habit -this could mean if they did lay fertile eggs they would do the same with them.

When they have laid eggs in their nest they don't like their cage to be moved to a different position.  Before I realised this In the past I have had them incubating eggs and moved their cage to  different location and they came off the nest and didn't go back, even if they had live chicks in the nest if the cage was moved they didn't go back to feeding the chicks and if I hadn't hand reared the chicks they would have died---(I have  Blog on here mentioning this- 'Hand Rearing Birds by Emmy')

They do like a 'bath' from time to time- this can be attached to the front of their cage or a shallow dish with water can be placed on the bottom of their cage

Re 'banding' I think you are meaning  putting rings on their leg when they are young.  I don't put closed rings on mine, which gives information when they hatched out etc. etc.  when I do ring mine I use coloured split rings but this is just for my own information and wouldn't give information re who  the bird belonged to. I'm sorry but I've no idea what happens re closed rings where you live.

I know I  use the following if the birds start pecking each others feathers but it may divert them from eating eggs -don't know if it would though:  Cut about 6/7  10cms lengths of normal parcel string   and then fold it in half and loop it through the  wires of the cage they love pecking at this.

Hope this gives you a little help.

Emmy