Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Hawk

HAWK!!!
Had to put one of my young diamond doves in the hospital cage the other day  I've had a hawk at the aviary for 3/4 days now and I think it had managed to get a hold of the young dove's tail feathers -must have happened 2 days ago and it had been bleeding and the blood had dried and a lot of tail feathers had been pulled but were stuck to the bird --by the time I was finished bathing it-- poor bird now had only one tail feather left. I was worried about the fright it has had . Reckon the shock could be worse than losing its tail feathers. 

Thankfully its back in the inside flight now and looks OK

Emmy

I had a similar experience when I kept the Budgies but it got the Budgie proper through the wire and killed it so I double wired the flight.

Diamonds are notoriously panicky and ours use to try to fly through the wire when Harry Hawk visited and we had to treat the nose part of the beak.

We use a football rattle when they start being a nuisance which is usually August time.

One tried to get at the Zebs the other day and came into contact with the glass of the window. I think it got the message and has left us alone since, but it got a Collared Dove last week which had panicked and crashed into our house window and was stunned on the floor. Those Hawks are so quick.