Sign in to follow this  
NaomiVonkreeps

New to forum and finches - need advice!

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to owning normal zebra finches (although not new to owning birds). I accidentally became a finch owner when one appeared in my backyard, eating the seed I feed the wild birds. Since I live in Canada, I knew I had to catch it or else it would have died once the temperature got cooler. I caught the male finch, had it in a small cage for 2 days before going out and buying him a friend (another male) and a bigger cage. The two got on famously and immediately started preening each other. I've read that you should not give them nests if you have 2 males, however I did provide them with 2 nests and the two would sleep together in one (so cute). I then decided to upgrade their cage to something even bigger so they would have a lot of flying room (31-Inch long, 20-1/2-inch wide, 40-inch high), I added a third nest just in case so they would not have to fight over one. They lived happily in this cage for about 3 weeks. Preening and sleeping together until one day, the bird I caught in the backyard became aggressive and now chases the other one around. There is a bit of pecking but no feather pulling, and no one is getting injured. One is simply chasing the other one around. I noticed he makes a particular sound and opens his mouth before chasing the other. And sometimes the other one will chase the one that is usually the aggressor. I've removed all the nests for a week, rearranged the entire cage (in case they had become territorial). They still fought. I put the nests back in. They fought, and slept in separate nests. I once again removed the nests. Annnd because I felt sorry for them I eventually put the nests back in. Now they still chase each other around but are back to sleeping in the same nest. I am not sure what to do at this point. I've considered several times separating them. The chasing/fighting isn't constant. They will sit beside each other and preen themselves. I've also added clothespins to some of their perches to give them their own space. I just don't want them to be stressed out. Some people have advised me to add more male finches, but I don't want to add more if the aggressive finch is going to chase after all of them. I do not want females as I'm trying to avoid any breeding. Sorry for this LOOONG POST. Any advise would be very much appreciated!

• Like 1

First Welcome tot he forum.

I'm not saying this will work with your birds but it does work when a finch starts to pluck feathers from another in the cage

Cut approx. 6/7  lengths of normal parcel string (Each about 12cms long) fold them in half and loop them through the bars of the cage this will keep the birds  occupied.

You could perhaps fix 2 or 3 to the cage to give them a choice.

Hope it helps.

Emmy

28 minutes ago, Emmy said:

Thanks for the welcome!! They don't appear to be plucking feathers. Just a lot of chasing. I have grasses, shredded paper and straw for them, which used to keep the aggressor occupied. I will definitely try the string to see if that helps! Thanks for the reply :)

First Welcome tot he forum.

I'm not saying this will work with your birds but it does work when a finch starts to pluck feathers from another in the cage

Cut approx. 6/7  lengths of normal parcel string (Each about 12cms long) fold them in half and loop them through the bars of the cage this will keep the birds  occupied.

You could perhaps fix 2 or 3 to the cage to give them a choice.

Hope it helps.

Emmy