Sign in to follow this  
barbara

need some advise...in Mexico

Hi Everyone.My story goes like this... almost a year ago I saw a man who had a couple of terrified looking birds in a ball type cage about the size of a volleyball.  I made a deal with him and went and bought the best cage I could find (not much to choose from) and brought them home.  They settled in quite nicely, and my 6 year old daughter decided they need a nest...(1st mistake). I was quite diligent in taking out the first tiny eggs.  but then I broke my arm and was not quite as diligent and to make a long story short, I know have a while male a brown female and 4 very cute little grey babies.  I was able to find and purchase a bigger used cage.  This one has a divider that you can put in or take out.  I have not yet separated the birds as although they have fledged the parents are still feeding them.  My question is...once I know the sexes of the babies should i separate males and females? should I leave the parents together? SHould I separate them?  I really dont want any more babies, but I want these ones to be happy.  I tried to do a good deed and know I have a housefull. Can anyone lend me some advise before I move the babies. Thanks!!!

Hi Barbara first -welcome to the forum:D

I'm presuming that its zebra finches you have- but it doesn't really matter if its not because I think this would apply to all species.

If you don't separate the males from the females you will eventually end up with more eggs - even if you remove the nest box there will still be the chance they will make a nest themselves (a pair of mine laid eggs in their feeding bowl ).

If you want to keep them together you would have to remove any eggs that was laid but there would be the chance that the 'Mum and Dad'  - if they were desperate to rear another clutch they could maybe start pecking the  youngsters feathers to make a nest-  one way to help stop this is to cut 8 or 10 -10cm lengths of normal parcel string fold them in half and loop it through the bars on the cage and they will peck away at that.

That was good of you rescuing that pair.  Hope it all works out for you.   Maybe some other member will be able to give you some more ideas.

Emmy

Hi!...yes they are Zebras.  Sorry forgot to mention that. Thanks I appreciate it.  I didnt know that if I was to put males and females together if they would get all territorial, or that if I separated the pàrents they would be sad. Thanks I appreciate your comment!!