This is the beginning of another nightmare for me. 

I knew one pair of my owl finches had eggs in their nest and they had been incubating them.

The previous time they had reached this stage  they tossed all the young out and when I found them the chicks were dead it looked as though they had been disposed of whenever they had hatched.

When I was in the shed tonight I noticed both birds were off the nest so I decided to check the nest-- one chick dead- I wont describe it but it had been killed, another one not long hatched, looked dead but when I removed it from the nest I thought I saw a slight movement so I put it into the incubator, I removed the other two eggs from the nest and checked them one looks fertile about ready to hatch? but the other egg wasn't fertile. The egg that looks to be fertile is in the incubator.

This tiny wee thing is moving now and I gave it one drop of water with the electrolyte in it -later I gave it the same again and at 8pm  I gave it another drop of the electrolyte but this time included a very tiny drop of watered down formula. It's actually opening its beak but instead of using a cocktail stick I'm using a cotton bud (ones that have a blue plastic tube I cut off one end and cut it     diagonally it looks like a beak shape and it  takes up only 1 to 2 drops of liquid at a time.

As I have just finished hand rearing Shadow and the 3 Bengalese chicks and I'm still hand rearing 5 cockatiel chicks (it wont be long 'till they are feeding on their own) I  really don't want to start all over again with such a tiny chick - much smaller than a zebra finch chick.:o but I don't have any Bengalese I can foster it too (my other pair of Bengalese I have are rearing the 5 gouldian chicks)

This is my nightmare: When I look at Shadow and the 3 other chicks and see how they have survived I know  I just can't let this wee one  die without trying to save it. So as long as it survives I guess that will be me on night shift once more.

(I'm sorry I can't post photos of it - I have taken some but since upgrading to windows 10 I'm having problems and can't get photos from my camera into the computer)

Emmy

Just an update: The other owl finch egg has just hatched and the chick looks OK.

Hope they survive, I always think its easier to have two or more to feed rather than one on its own, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the first one survives the night.

Emmy

Thanks Sarah

So far both are still OK - the 1st one that hatched got fed at midnight and didn't get fed again until 5.30a.m. Both of them got fed-  just a few drops of the electrolyte solution with a teeny bit formula added.  Using the plastic part on the cotton bud is working out fine the part I have shaped just fits into their beaks and the chicks are actually 'sucking' the contents  (that's what it looks like to me:lol:)

What is good just now they are a healthy pink colour and I moved them out from the incubator this morning and they are now in the 'Lionheart napkin warmer'  1..JPG this is a photo of the warmer that I already had-- wont let me post another showing the inside but I'm sure I've posted some before on  a 'Blog' 

Now off  to feed the cockatiel chicks their 2nd feed of the day -, then check : Bobby the Parrot;  the hens, (who are wandering all the place and demolishing my parsley), feed the new chicks  then hopefully I'll be able to feed ME!:lol:

Emmy

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

You must be the hand rearing champion

re the above (lol) Doubt it David- just lost one of the owl finches tonight.  In a way I'm not surprised  because it had been attacked too before I rescued it  and part of its foot was missing, but I was just hoping it would be OK and it looked as thought things were going well for it. So sad when you lose them but it was worth giving it a try.

I'll need to go to the sale on Sunday because I've ordered seed (lol)not sure if I'll be taking any birds still to check that out.  MY pair of red winged Amazon parrots have taken a real dislike to me- 'talk about biting the hand that feeds you!!!:angry: No they haven't caught me yet (lol) but whenever I go into the shed to feed them and the other birds the parrots screech like mad and knock their beaks against the cage. Instead of hearing aids I'll need to buy a pair of ear plugs :lol:

If you manage the sale I'll probably see you there.

Emmy

Oh Emmy sorry to hear about your owl finch . You don't want to get on the wrong end of the parrot beak. Will see you on Sunday if all goes well. If your taking birds for sale let me know what you have going still looking for some more . The old spaniel in photo of aviary build took ill suddenly a week ago and unfortunately the vet could not save him . It leaves a hole he was always in the shed when I was with the birds but life goes on.