Derek

Hello from Handforth Cheshire

Hi my name is Derek. I use to keep Zebra finches many years ago then went working abroad. I have had coloured canaries for a couple of years but the lure back to Zebra's is too strong. Looking forward to their little chirps once again in my avairy.

• Like 1

Hi Derek, and welcome.

You live in an area with quite a number of Zebie breeders and members of the forum localish to you.

Good luck with your birds, look forward to reading your posts and perhaps entries in the monthly photo competitions too.

Andyn

• Like 1

welcome to the forum and back to Zebbies and that wonderful meeep meeep they make.

enjoy

Andrew

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Derek --Zebra Finches you could say is like a recurring infection and there's no cure for it :lol:

There's just something about them that is so captivating.  Have you made up your mind yet re the colours you are going to have?

Emmy

• Like 1

Welcome to our community Derek.

I hope you find the forum informative and I'm sure you will receive plenty of assistance with any questions you may have.

Please do not hesitate to ask.

Gary

On 26/04/2016 at 18:19, Emmy said:

Welcome to the forum Derek --Zebra Finches you could say is like a recurring infection and there's no cure for it :lol:

There's just something about them that is so captivating.  Have you made up your mind yet re the colours you are going to have?

Emmy

Hi Emmy re colours love them all. I am trying to purchase Exhibition size zebs incase I decide I want to show in the future. I wish to establish my own stud. I have 4 decent pairs at the moment and a couple of pairs of pair sized. Not looking to much this year. I have 12 double breeders, 4 rows of 3 which can be made into flight cages out the breeding season. 2 trebles which lead into a 6 x 3 out door avairy. I came back to bird keeping after my exploits in the equestrian field came to an end ? Have kept canaries for the last couple of years but the lure of the wee bird has brought me back. Also my wife has taken a keener interest since getting the Zebra's. Still got 6 pairs of canaries and chicks but they will go this year.

• Like 1

Hi Derek some of the recent cages I have bought can be fixed together to make a flight (that's when I can work out how to do this 'simple' thing:rolleyes:) but I don't need it meantime as I'm using the cages for  breeding -gouldians, owl finches and of course a variety of zebra finches.

Last year was the first time I entered a pair of BC finches into our local show and they got a 3rd place.  My 2 canaries both got a 1st and one went on to get best novice in that section. But I'm not really into breeding for show type birds just like seeing all the different unexpected colours that sometimes get thrown up with birds that must have been split for another colour.

The two pairs of my birds I'd really like to see the breeding soon  are my Madagascar Love Bird Parrots and my red winged amazon parrots - just got the nest box for the amazons tonight so I'm  hoping they like their new 'bedroom' :lol:

So far this year I've not had any canary chicks although a pair have made a nest in the outside flight and have two eggs in it -just have to keep an eye on that one and keep fingers crossed they incubate the eggs.

Hope everything works out for you please keep us posted re the birds you get.

Emmy

• Like 1

Hi Emma

Bit of a change round have built 2 large flight cages and taken the wooden trebles out. both flight cages lead into an outdoor aviary. Fixed LED lighting on the rood of each flight cage and will do the same with the 12 Italian double breeding cages, these also can be turned into long flight cages with adapters. !st breeding season with Zebs is going well with chicks or full eggs in the 5 pairs I have down. Compared to the canaries their crops are ram jam full. Have switched from Johnson and Jeffs foreign finch seed to  King Foreign Finch Breeding Luxury Mix  which seems to have a good mix.  So all in all pretty happy. Hope you are doing okay!