Papajay

Hi from Kent

Hi Everyone, 

I'm Jay, affectionately known as Papajay, I have had my own aviary for around a year now; though I grew up in a house with one,

My brood is slightly different to the one I grew up with, I have Zebra finches (love these little fellas) 30 years ago in my Dads aviary I only really knew of the normal greys and the strawberry finches, I have to say I love the variations that are around now, I particularly favour Isabels; they seem to have great character and I find a lot tamer! I also have pied, phaeo, black cheek, fawns and a couple of normal greys. Also in the aviary I have a pair of Java sparrows and a pair of diamond doves. I developed psoriatic arthritis several years ago and it has reached a stage that I am now medically retired, so these wonderful creatures along with my writing are what keep me sane... Thank you for accepting me into your community, God bless you all... 

• Like 1

You'r very welcome to our Forum Jay and you've started off on the right foot by entering the photo competition too.:D

Looking forward to seeing your posts. Any Questions you have please ask away.

Could you tell us how you found us please i.e. Cage and Aviary Magazine, just browsing etc.

Cheers

Andyn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyn said:

You'r very welcome to our Forum Jay and you've started off on the right foot by entering the photo competition too.:D

Looking forward to seeing your posts. Any Questions you have please ask away.

Could you tell us how you found us please i.e. Cage and Aviary Magazine, just browsing etc.

Cheers

Andyn

Hey Andy, I am on Facebook, My Zebra Finches.. It was one of Lee Pycrofts  posts that led me here :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew123 said:

Hello from Kent too. Welcome to the forum.

Andy

Hi Andy, Thank you, Great to know there is another keeper in my area, I'm north east Kent, Yourself?

Welcome to our community Jay,

I really enjoyed reading your introduction and it pleases me when new members give us a bit of background on how they started with Zebra Finches.

I hope you will enjoy the forum and please do not hesitate to ask any questions. You will find everyone really friendly on here and there is always someone willing help.

Good luck with your birds and I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

Gary ;););)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Papajay, 

That 'Mr Arthr  Itis'   does a lot of visiting, problem is when he arrives it's  very difficult to get him to leave and he's still  forever visiting me even although he knows he's not welcome:lol:  (I've had both knees replaced because of that - so I can sympathise with you. It's no picnic!  

Like you I have a variety of birds and that helps a lot. Problem with the birds though I'm always finding more varieties that I like but I love them all. My latest acquisitions are 2 pairs of Madagastar love birds (the smallest of the love bird parrots ) and  'Bobby' my Bolivian Blue fronted Amazon Parrot.  (not buying anymore now!;))

Hope you enjoy the forum

Emmy

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Andrew123 said:

Hello from Kent too. Welcome to the forum.

Andy

Hi Andy, Thank you, Great to know there is another keeper in my area, I'm north east Kent, Yourself?

11 minutes ago, Zebraman said:

Welcome to our community Jay,

I really enjoyed reading your introduction and it pleases me when new members give us a bit of background on how they started with Zebra Finches.

I hope you will enjoy the forum and please do not hesitate to ask any questions. You will find everyone really friendly on here and there is always someone willing help.

Good luck with your birds and I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

Gary ;););)

Thanks Gary, I do have a question :) 

I rescued a couple of Zebs a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately they have been kept in such a small cage for such a long time they don't fly! is there anything I can do or is it a case of nature will out? 

6 minutes ago, Emmy said:

Welcome to the forum Papajay, 

That 'Mr Arthr  Itis'   does a lot of visiting, problem is when he arrives it's  very difficult to get him to leave and he's still  forever visiting me even although he knows he's not welcome:lol:  (I've had both knees replaced because of that - so I can sympathise with you. It's no picnic!  

Like you I have a variety of birds and that helps a lot. Problem with the birds though I'm always finding more varieties that I like but I love them all. My latest acquisitions are 2 pairs of Madagastar love birds (the smallest of the love bird parrots ) and  'Bobby' my Bolivian Blue fronted Amazon Parrot.  (not buying anymore now!;))

Hope you enjoy the forum

Emmy

Hey Emmy thanks, sounds like an interesting collection you have, I get my new knee later this year ;)  not really looking forward to it, I'm sure the relief will be great, but anything that keeps me from my aviary even for a day is not welcome either lol :) 

• Like 1

Hi Jay,

Do have any idea of age?  The only reason I ask is that as Zebras get older their wings become more frail until they eventually loose the ability to fly.  So depending on age it could be a problem.

If on the other hand the birds are still young, you do have a chance, but you will need to build their wing muscles up gradually. One of the ways you could do this is to place them in a bigger cage something similar to a double breeding cage so they can learn to fly again and gradually build their muscle tissue.

I would also introduce a multi vitamin supplement to their food or water as well and a nice sized piece of cuttle fish bone.

Hope this helps.

Gary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zebraman said:

Hi Jay,

Do have any idea of age?  The only reason I ask is that as Zebras get older their wings become more frail until they eventually loose the ability to fly.  So depending on age it could be a problem.

If on the other hand the birds are still young, you do have a chance, but you will need to build their wing muscles up gradually. One of the ways you could do this is to place them in a bigger cage something similar to a double breeding cage so they can learn to fly again and gradually build their muscle tissue.

I would also introduce a multi vitamin supplement to their food or water as well and a nice sized piece of cuttle fish bone.

Hope this helps.

Gary.

Hmm well the mum is probably 5 and daughter (black cheek) a couple of years old..

15 minutes ago, Papajay said:

Hmm well the mum is probably 5 and daughter (black cheek) a couple of years old..

You may struggle with the older of the two, but it's worth a try.

Gary

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew123 said:

I'm a bit further south, about 12 miles south of maidstone.

I'm Northfleet, are there any good shows etc down here? pref not on a Sunday morning lol

Nettlestead on the 4th sunday of the month at 10.00am and Larkfield on the second sunday of the month at 6.30pm. I've usually got some zebs for sale if you're after any. I think I put you on to the nettlestead sale on facebook already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Papajay said:

Hey Andy, I am on Facebook, My Zebra Finches.. It was one of Lee Pycrofts  posts that led me here :)

I think Lee will have to get a gold star for that. :yahoo:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew123 said:

Nettlestead on the 4th sunday of the month at 10.00am and Larkfield on the second sunday of the month at 6.30pm. I've usually got some zebs for sale if you're after any. I think I put you on to the nettlestead sale on facebook already.

Yes you did, I'm otherwise occupied Sunday mornings :) 

to be honest my i don't want to put too many more in my aviary unless I can find a really nice bc or two to replace my boy :)

2 hours ago, Andyn said:

I think Lee will have to get a gold star for that. :yahoo:

:P:D Yeah that sounds good, whats a gold star by the way? 

1 hour ago, Andrew123 said:

I've got some nice BC's to go. Lee might be upset though, everyone will have bc's except him!

ADMIN ADMIN ADMIN!   this member needs baning asap, he's a bad-un! :P