Sign in to follow this  
Andyn

Identify New Bird Please

Hi all,

Saw this cock bird in a pet section of shopping complex (Trago Mills) and we would like to know what it could be.

It has orange frosting on the wing feathers, No Chest Bar. Real vivid cheek patches and orangy speckling on top of head. It's quite pretty to look at. (wife)

Three photos attached.

post-745-0-06731700-1420734990_thumb.jpg

post-745-0-86687700-1420735024_thumb.jpg

post-745-0-80843500-1420735048_thumb.jpg

Looks a bit soggy due to the fact he escaped as we were transferring him to a cage and he fell in dog's water bowl.

Thanks for looking.

AndyN

Now that Andrew has planted a seed I googled Isobel and got a photo of our bird.

With the photo and description given by efinch I believe the bird to be a Florida Fancy.

Anyone with this type of mutation at all?

Florida fancy is american version of an isobel (pretty much the same). Having seen the pictures on my computer it looks more fawn than it did on my phone. Because of the extended cheek patches on yours it looks black breasted as well, so phaeo. I'll let someone who is a bit more knowledgeable than me take over now.............. :D

Thanks Andrew.

I know there are some members who keep these and we would like to find out about suitable hens too.

I have a couple hens for sale at the moment.  Of course, I live in Canada...

Here is a picture of one of my males and a couple of his female chicks when bred to a hen split to Isobel.  Both of these are fawn and have a split to orange breasted as well.  The male is full Black Breasted and the females are at least split BB.  Not sure if they are split or full BB.

Though they look the same, the genetics of Isobel and Florida Fancy are different.  Both remove the black on a bird, so all you see is the brown/orange coloring.  Isobels are fully recessive - carriers of the gene show nothing until they get both copies and then are full Isobel.  Florida Fancy is a co-dominant gene.  One copy of it half reduces the black, so you get a silver look.  They call them Florida Silvers.  Full Florida Fancies look the same as Isobels.  Apparently if you cross Isobels and Florida Fancies, you get even white birds yet with the full orange.  Here is a link that explains it better than I can:  http://www.efinch.com/species/ffxisabelzeb.htm

post-3279-0-74170400-1420786341_thumb.jp

post-3279-0-29385200-1420786344_thumb.jp

AndyN's bird is an isabel grey split BB.

It's not a full BB, ......you can see it on the tail- and tear markings.

Thank You Aspen and Tremuth.

I was a bit confused about the BB stuff but Aspen has cleared that up by saying the black is rendered down silver.

Think I might have a problem getting an Isobel or split Isobel hen for him.

Anyone got a hen that could be picked up from Stafford in March?

Thanks again guys.

Andy

I agree with tremuth on description.....suggest a phaeo hen for him. There are plenty around. Shouldnt have a problem finding one.

Cheers Scott.

Zebbie fans are a bit few and far between down this end so I don't think I'll get one locally.

Maybe Stafford will help.