Sign in to follow this  
Parmenides

Hello From Croatia!

Hi, I'm Luka and recently I've bougt two pairs of Zebra finches. Now, I don't know what type of colour are they, I think they're just 'vulgaris' :D I love birds in general (photographing and observing them, spending a lot of time i nature just tracking their nests, mapping their habitats etc.) and I often held a pair of budgies or some other smaller parrots. Now I decided to try with Zebra finches. I already had some problems by now, but I'll talk about that in another place. For now I just want to say hello to all members. I hope this will be the place where I'll spend some quality time discussing Finch joys and problems.

These are my finches; can anybody please tell me what 'kind of colour' are they? Thank You! 

post-3641-0-49019300-1413986609_thumb.jp

Welcome to the forum.  I think you have a 'normal' cock bird and a fawn hen I may be wrong but I'm sure some other members will check this just in case. Hope you enjoy keeping the zebra finches they are lovely little birds.

Emmy

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

The birds you have are a Normal Cock and Hen.

Paul.

I agree with Emmy on the cock bird but I think the hen is normal too.

welcome to the forum. there is always lots of members happy to help with any questions.

hope you have fun keeping zebbies.

Andy

Hi! and welcome to the forum.

The Normal cock has lovely colour to his flank marking. At a guess I'd say it was a Normal hen too.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.

AndyN 

Hi and welcome.

Looks like you have a nice pair of normals. (the exact colour of the original wild zebra)

Scott

Hi! Things are going quite well with my Finches, they have already started building their nest, and i'ts been two weeks since I have them. I've made a short video showing them building their nest: 

Any comment is welcome, especially if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi! Things are going quite well with my Finches, they have already started building their nest, and i'ts been two weeks since I have them. I've made a short video showing them building their nest: 

Any comment is welcome, especially if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

Looks like you have everything going well, the best of luck with them.

Ray.

• Like 2

Hello Luka!
I joined yesterday and I found this forum really nice and helpful.

I am really happy for finding you here, because we are basically "neighbours". :lol:

Zottan

• Like 1

Looks like you have everything going well, the best of luck with them.

Ray.

Hi Luka,

I joined yesterday and already find this a great forum with lots of friendly helpful people, I have a pair of normals just like yours they are gorgeous.

Andi

nice video. they look very happy. thanks for showing it to us.

andy

Hello Luka!

I joined yesterday and I found this forum really nice and helpful.

I am really happy for finding you here, because we are basically "neighbours". :lol:

Zottan

Thank you all for your comments, I'm glad that you like video showing my finches. 

I also think the birds are quite happy, they accomodated quite fast and well.

Thanks Zottan and Silver Cheeks for your welcoming posts. I also find this forum very helpful and friendly, hope we'll meet on some interesting topic :)  

• Like 1

Hello everybody! I just must share this with you... Today I found first chick of my zebra finches... They have eight eggs, so now I'm expecting more hatchlings. This is the first time I have zebra finches, and I have them for about a month now and they already have chicks!

You can see the small one here: 

Thanx!

• Like 2

What a fantastic set up you have there.  They are two very lucky zebra Finches to find a home with you :good:

Your videos are super a great record to keep. 

If I was to put a bet on that you wont be parting with the young chicks I guess I would win :lol:

Well done!

Emmy

• Like 1

Thank you, it's great feeling to watch how chicks are hatching... And I think they really are good parents.

Emmy, if I understood you correctly, I guess you're right :) 

• Like 1

Your are going to keep the young chicks?  If you are I've won my bet. :lol:  :lol:

Emmy

Hah... this morning I thaught I would, but I spread the news and one person already asked me fo two zebras! ... So I think I won't be keeping them all, but who knows! I I just hope I'll manage to recognise and keep this one that hatched first, after all he is the first one :) 

• Like 1

Hello again! I just want to say that I got six chicks out of eight eggs, they are growing very fast and I'm surprised how everything is going easy with zebra finch breeding, at least in my case! And I wanted to show you the oldest of this six chicks, he/she is 13 days old. Thanx and I hope you enjoy your zebra finches like I do! 

I wrote in video this is a fledgling, but I'm not sure if it is , maybe it's still a hatchling?

Hi

That's really good you got 6 chicks from 8 eggs.

Have they come out from their nest on their own or did you just take them out to video them?

(I occasionally lift some of my chicks from the nest to take a photograph then quickly pop them back into the nest again and let them settle down until they fly out from their nest on their own)

Can it sit on a perch yet? 

I think they are so cute at that stage, and its nice to see them starting to eat on their own when you give them millet spray.

Thanks for sharing your good news

Please post and let us know how they get on.

Emmy

• Like 1

Thanks, Emmy.

I took this one out of the nest, it's quite worm in my room so he is not cold. They are still in the nest, I expect them to exit this week. They are very cute, and they sound funny, even funnier than their parents :) I always laugh when the parents are feeding them. 

It is so interesting and beautiful for me watching them grow. :)

I have 5 BC chicks just fledged a few days ago and I agree with you - you can sit and watch them for ages and not get bored

As the chicks get older but still in the nest they definitely make some noise when they are cheeping to get fed-sometimes feel like telling them to turn the volume down :lol:

The 4th egg in the nest of my pied BC's has just hatched today the other egg in the nest isn't fertile so that was 4 out of 5 which I'm pleased with. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the parents feed them.

Emmy

Great, I understand that watching them do their stuff can be very interesting but also very calming.

I heard few times that people are concerned if the parents are going to feed the babies. Is that common that they don't feed their youngs? 

(When my first chick hatched I was also a little concerned because I didn't see parents feeding him, but when I saw that he lived few hours I knew everything will be ok.)