Sign in to follow this  
SarahR

I Know There Bc(Poss Fawn) But What Sex?

Me and my dad recently bought (about 2 week ago) 3 new finches.

1 Fawn Hen and 2 of (we assume) her chicks.

the problem we have is one of the chicks has male breast bar.....but no other male markings, mum does have slight male makings (faint flanking? on her belly) and the other chick had none (just BC)

(the normal grays in the background were titch and his friend, dad tried to mix them but they didn't get along)

Here is a Pic of mum, i know she's a she as she laid an egg in the cage while the chicks matured a bit)

2r56mnd.jpg

Chick 1 (BC hen i think)

8vxe0n.jpg

Chick 2 (i think hen with male markings)

140w65d.jpg

And both of the little ones :)

3038f48.jpg

Thank you

Sarah~

I would think that it's more likely that chick 2 is male, but hasn't fully feathered up yet. My young males have always tended to grow in the breast bar before the flank markings anyway.

thank you :)

me and my dad keep debating weather or not its a male or female, i guess we will just have to wait for them to fully feather up :)

Chick 1 definitely has Black cheek genes and Chick 2 just needs abit more time to feather up as its showing the throat stripes that males have.

cool :D me and my dad both agreed that weather it is male or female, he will be a lovely bird and should have some nice offspring when hes old enough :)

Sarah,

If they are the young from those two, your hen is split for BC and your male is split for BC and fawn,

The two young are both split for pied,

Hope this helps,

Trevor :)

the male in the cage was just in there temporarily :)

he isn't the farther, we don't know who the father is as we bought her with her 2 chicks :)

we know they have BC in them and also fawn, mum looks like just a fawn. :)

the mum has now paired up with one of my pied males :)