Sign in to follow this  
Bpoolkev

Are My Zebbies Getting Ready

Hi all Just a quick question. 2 of my Zebbies have started to make a nest in one of the boxes, Does this mean that the female is ready to start laying or are they just marking their territory so other birds do not use the box, Also when i go into the aviary the male flies around the nest. Cheers 

Kev,

How old are your birds that are making the nest? If they are old enough they could be going to nest proper,

Sometimes nests are made as roosting site though.

Keep a lookout for eggs usually 6 days+ from pairing.

Good Luck!!

Andy

hi, we have no idea of their age due to buying from a pet shop, i know the boys are about 1 year old. my dads busy on the garden at the moment. she seems "puffy" and has an "egg bump" also the nest is slanted to the back of the nest box. they don't bother me when i go in but the male does stay next to the female all the time. she was "puffy" when we got her but seems to be doing well and flying around a lot more.

she also chases off the other female. she does however have a bald path just above the base of her tail.

Answer to my first post  I have found 3 little eggs in one of the nests so fingers crossed we could have little babies in the next 3 weeks  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

here is a picture of 1 of the eggs:

also we now have 4 bengalese finches.....too young to sex atm though 

10412026_10152137920362654_4877934466540

Had to take the egg out of the nest as the zebbies were not interested in the egg and started to build other nests around the aviary better luck next time i suppose  :lol: