Sign in to follow this  
Charlton2602

Breeding Chest Bars Out Of Males.

Does anyone know if there is any way to breed the chest bars out of my male penguins. They are just faint bars but did not know if I had to buy new males in our there was anything I can do.

Hi better to buy good birds to start with like I told you .buying birds with faults is only a waste of time and money that's why you buy the best you can good look . Baz

Basically just by selecting the cleanest looking birds you breed off them and discarding the others,

Sods law has it that the outstanding birds you breed will be the one with chest barring though

but by retaining the cleanest birds both cocks and hens as you might get hens with faint tear marks too in a couple of years should improve

it can be hard letting otherwise good birds go but its a must

good luck mate

I have been breeding Penguins for years I have about 25 breeding pairs all the birds have pure white chest / breast with no bars on them at all, however they still throw the odd cock bird with breast bars, I only keep the best for breeding however I have also bred clear breasted penguins from the slightly barred penguin pairings. 

Be very selective in your selection of young penguins you are going to run on for breeding and you will find after so many years that you have / are breeding good quality birds without these unwanted markings.

The hardest thing to do with penguin zebras is breeding Fawn Penguin Cocks I have lots of Fawn hens and I am going to try a few cross breed pairings this year to breed Fawn cocks.

Good luck mate. Alf  

• Like 1

Cheers mate I got some young at the beginning of the year with markings on going to make it a bit of a project.

Is it best to get normals to breed the size into normal penguins.

I also have light back and cfw's can you breed these into the penguin or does it not work Cheers again