Sign in to follow this  
paulm

Normal Cock

Hi AllThis is a Normal cock bird i bred in dec 2010 which i quite like,he isn't massive in size but i think he's a nice birds.Normalcockdec2010.jpgI placed i video of him on youtube as i think its nice to see other birds and a photo doesn't alway tell the whole story theres a link below.

Hi AllThis is a Normal cock bird i bred in dec 2010 which i quite like,he isn't massive in size but i think he's a nice birds.Normalcockdec2010.jpgI placed i video of him on youtube as i think its nice to see other birds and a photo doesn't alway tell the whole story theres a link below.
  • Like 1

Hi John Thanks you,like this cock bird he is a natural show man as soon as he is put in a show cage he start to perform it just a shame he wasn't larger.Paul.

Hi Dave Thanks he a nice package but he's only small which is a shame he was one of 3 Normal cocks, heres the other two not very good photos of them mind and please disregard the hen shes was out of a different pair and is now in the pet shop you cant win them all.Normaldec2011secondcock.jpgNormaldec20103rdcock.jpgAnd below them as youngstersYoungdec2010cocks.jpgPaul.P.s Gary im still looking for that photo i have files all over the computer with my photos in.

usefull birds paul,really good head quality which is vital in show birdsif they are lacking a little in size i would pair a couple of them to big stock hens of any of the mainsteam coloursto try and get a little bit of size in them,giving you at least some normal hens to put back into strainobviously a nice big cobby normal hen with cracking head features would be the ideal choice if you have a few in shedand if you have can you send me a couple :) good luck with them pauldave

Lol Dave a was going to ask you to send me a couple of nice big cobby hens till i got to the bottom of your post,i havent done very well with the normal hens the cocks are a lot better than the hens,still have a few to finish but so far not great.All the best Paul.

Hi guys,sorry for butting in but just wanted to ask,is that always the case with all colors -split cocks but straight hens eg-normal cockxsilver hen?etc or am i misunderstanding.thanks Ty. I guess broadheaded birds on everybodies wishlist at moment we all after getting them,can i join the quie. Ty

Hi TyWith the dominant Dilute mutations you would pair to the base colour i.e Cream to Fawn or Silver to Normal unless you were after adding another mutation the the mix like lightback to get a dilute lightback.Split cock birds are useful and you would pair them however is most useful or has the possibility of producing the best results for say type,size or head features so say you had a Normal/fawn cock bird and you wanted to produce more fawns you would pair him to a Fawn hen this would give you. 25% Normal Females25% Normal/Fawn Males25% Fawn Females25% Fawn MalesBut if you paired the same cock to a Normal hen25% Normal Females25% Normal Males25% Fawn Females25% Normal/Fawn MalesYou see now you have no chance of getting any Fawn cocks out of your pair,but alot of it also relies on the type,size,feather and colour of the birds,basicly what you fancy pairing to what to give you what you hope are good results,so say your best cock bird is a Normal/fawn cock and you have two hens for him a Normal and a Fawn you would pair him to the hen which you think would give you what you want unless you want a specific result in colour like above,it all comes down to trial and error,practice and mother nature.Hope this is of usePaul.

Thanks Paul,very useful i will write down and put up on birdroom wall to remind me as quite forgetful sometimes,just one other thing can i put silver cock to silver hen or what color cock best,have really good headshaped hen and want to make best use from her Ty.

Thanks Paul,very useful i will write down and put up on birdroom wall to remind me as quite forgetful sometimes,just one other thing can i put silver cock to silver hen or what color cock best,have really good headshaped hen and want to make best use from her Ty.

Hi TyI would steer clear of doubling up on a dominant mutation such as silver,cream,blackface,cheeked as doubling up on them is meant to be a bad idea i have heard this many times but never put it to the test,they use to say that with the blackfaces it lead to dead chicks and deformity's,like i say not sure how true this is but i have heard it from quite a few people over the years,so your best sticking with Normal to silver and fawn to cream or even silver to fawn and cream to normal,i look at it like this you may breed what you think are healthy birds from such a pairing but what are they carrying hidden in their genes from such a breeding.Paul.

I've had a few Normal/Lightback Fawns leave the nest on sunday heres one of them there all very similar.dec2012youngnormal2.jpgDec2010youngnormal.jpgPaul.

Nice birds mateOne thing puzzles me though with your birdsHow the **** do you get them to perch on your finger long enough to take a picture lolMine would just fly round the shed lolDave

Hi Dave Their ok when their real young but when they get a little old they know better than to just sit there :( Paul.

Heres a couple of Normal/lightback&Fawn cocks from this year so far,could be ones the bird in the earlier photos or one of its nest mates.youngnormalcock20122b.jpgyoungnormalcock20121.jpgyoung2012normalcock2.jpgyoung2012normalcock1.jpgPaul.

Hi PaulVery nice large chicks there mate how old those chicks i think about 5 to 6 week,Do you do Hypnosis :wacko: mark