Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Pieds Or Not?

Today all 3 of the chicks concerned have now fledged. I know I fostered one egg from a pair of my pieds into that nest. but it looks as though I may have 2 pied chicks ???

I'm posting photographs of the mum and dad and the 3 chicks.

Be grateful for any suggestions ilast photo of a  chick (the one with some missing feathers) could it be from that mum and dad.

foster_egg_from_pieds.jpg

Mum_and_dad.jpg

mum_and_dads_chick.jpg

what_chick_is_this_mum_and_dad_s_or_fost

Emmy

Emmy,

At a guess i would say the foster one is the grey, reason for this the two pied zebs (even though they are still young) have very simular markings and to be a fostered with the sameish markings would be very unusual.  

But this is just my oppinion.

Trevor :)

Ps they are nice looking pieds.

Thanks Trevor

But the egg I took from the from the other nest was from a pair of pieds so I doubt if it would have produced a grey could be wrong though- .At the time I was removing all the eggs from the pieds nest because they werent sitting on the eggs and I thought I'd try one in another nest -now I'm just wondering if I've put in two of the pieds' eggs into that nest--Would that account for two of the chicks looking like pieds or would it be possible for that pair to have produced pieds? I know re the breeding you cant every say something isnt possible but maybe i should say in normal circumstances, going by the colour of the parents, would it be likely for them to have produced a pied chick?

Emmy

Hi Emmy

Are you sure you didn't move two eggs as i doubt looking at he parents they are both split pied so the two pied chicks would be from the other pair.

Paul.

Hi Paul

As the chicks are getting bigger and out of the nest most of the time I have been studying them and comparing them to the markings on the pair of pieds I have and some of the markings on those pied chicks are very similar to the adult pieds I took the egg/eggs? from. I'm thinking I must have transferred 2 eggs from that nest --- this is a photo of the two pieds I took the egg/eggs from.

What do you think

http://postimage.org/image/qkntztgxp/

Emmy

Hi Emmy

The Pied chick are i would say from the pair of Pieds as the other pair i doubt are splits.

Paul.

Think this problem is now solved :fool:  

Last night I found some notes I had made about fostering the eggs from the pair of pieds-- Guess what??? I had transferred TWO eggs from the pied's nest into that other  nest, so its seems both  eggs belonging to the pieds have hatched out and only one of the foster parent's own eggs have hatched.

Must be more careful with recording in future :D

Many thanks for all your replies.

Emmy