birdfan13

Photo Of Fidgets Feet

Looks like she can still perch. Can she?

Be interesting to find out if Kerry's bird's feet have the same problem.

Emmy

looks like slip claw ...similar to what the odd canary suffers from ....if you want to you can try taping the  claw back with a narrow strip of elastoplast to its leg in a more natural position ...it'll only work while the bird is still young ..

It looks similar to my chicks foot only the back claw doesn't point forward anymore and the other claws all point sideways away from the body. It's very strange :wacko:

Kerry

perch in photo is too big for zebra finch bird cant rap foot around perch not saying cause problem but wont help most perches should be between 6/9 mm wide in my opinion or use different diameter perches so it exercises the birds foot 

Allan

Hi Everyone 

Went to my local vets this afternoon and asked for some advice regarding Fidget.

Showed her photo of Fidget's feet and she said not much they can do as long as she perches fine ,flying fine and eating well, which she is so feel a bit better now I have asked the vet.

Glad to hear that Fidget is going to be OK.

Today I've just ordered some more new perches for my cages

I have some of these already and it does say it helps to exercise the birds feet I know the ones I'm using are well used by the birds

I bought them on line from Zooplus They are Hagen Pedi-Perch they are on an offer just now.

Emmy

I use bits off conifier in my cages as this is different thickness and they seam too sit on the thinnest bits.

Plus they seam too shred it and use it too line there nest.

Dan

I use conifer too when i can get it. The birds love it and like Dan said they use it to line the nest too. The only problem i have with it, is i cant stand the smell of it!

Kerry

Is that Lylandi (sp?) conifer you use. I've loads of them in my garden but I was thinking if the birds shredded it to line their nests would there not be a chance that it would pierce,break  the eggs in the nest? I know from experience when the conifers have been cut and I've been picking up the cuttings I've had a few sharp jabs from them on my fingers.

At he moment I collect the moss from my garden, wash and dry it before using it but if you have tried the conifers and it worked  I think I'll try that too.

Emmy

Emmy Leylandii is a good fur tree branch to use for perches it also gives off a nice smell of spruce,

mark

Thanks Mark1e

'll try that  Will it be ok to take some of the needles off the branches and leave them on the floor of the aviary for the birds to use for nesting?

Emmy

Really conifer smells brilliant nothing like fresh pine lol

I dunno if U could put it as nesting as I've only ever watched the cock bird do it while she was sitting on the eggs and they have made it so U can just about see in, hence the reason why I struggled too get the chicks out lol

Dan