Sign in to follow this  
zebba 'D'

Silvers

Hi all,

My first nest with breeding silvers, father is a very pale silver and mother is a grey. They are both last years birds so there first time breeding, i had 6 full eggs and six healthy looking chicks. Now i no Silver X grey should be 50% of both, but looking in the nest there looks to be 4 fawns, 1 silver and 1 grey. Can anyone see anything dif from the picture than me. Are the fawn looking ones silver but just a dif shade of silver?

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris

I see 3 Fawns 1 Normal and i think a CFW im not 100% there as sometime its hard too tell from a photo this would mean the cock if hes sliver is split Fawn & CFW and the Fawn and CFW Chicks are hens.

Paul.

Hi paul,

Cheers for that ill keep you posted with pictures as they leave the nest. But as it stands the male is defo split for fawn, i thought it may be a cfw but on looking at the chick its the same colour as the father.

chris

Just had a look at the chick and i would say a silver, there are 5 others in the nest do you think 4 fawns, 1 grey, and 1 silver if so what would the sex of them be.

chris

Hi chris

Any photos of dad just wondered if he might be a CFW Fawn sometime they look like a very pale cream or silver believe it or not.

Paul.

Plus a CFW Fawn cock would produce Fawn and CFW hens and Normal split cocks.

Paul.

what would be the outcome of these young fawns will they still Carrie cream in there blood line next time around for there breeding,

mark

hi mark,

That is a very good question, i havent a clue :), i have been trying to think of the build up to it.

I may be 100% wrong on this.

To produce a silver you need a

cream x grey=100% silver

Now to carry on breeding silvers:

Silver x grey=50%grey 50%silver.

So would the fawns i have be a split from the first generation. Which would mean if paired

fawn x fawn split cream

I could produce creams, i may be no where near on this. Worth a try :)

Chris

Hi Chris

Silver/fawn x normal

12.5% Normal/Fawn Males

12.5% Fawn Females

12.5% Silver (SF) Males

12.5% Silver (SF) Females

12.5% Normal Males

12.5% Normal Females

12.5% Silver (SF) /Fawn Males

12.5% Silver (SF) Fawn Females

Cream is a dominant mutation so can not be carried split

Cream x Normal

25% Normal/Fawn Males

25% Fawn Females

25% Silver (SF) /Fawn Males

25% Cream Females

hi paul,

Cheers for that mate, so the the fawn females will be fawn/silver or just fawns. When breedin them next, if put to another fawn is there any chance of silver from a fawn/silver x fawn.

Chris

Chris

did all of the chicks hatch together or on separate days.

Kevin

Chris

if you take the eggs out of the nest box every time she lays, and replace it with a false egg every time she lays, then after she has laid the last egg replace them, (and make sure that you turn the eggs every day) they will all hatch together.

Kevin

hi kevin,

To be honest mate, i dont bother with all of that, i used to a few years back when i had canarys. I just leave them to it now. I think if i was to let all 6 eggs hatch at the same its alot of work for the parent to feed 6 hungry mouths at once, where if they hatch one after another it they can work themselfs into it.

Chris

from the picture, dont know if others agree

but arent there 2 of the fawn ones alot lighter? e.g fawn-lightback or creams

was the hen housed with any other birds prior to this pair nesting?

i agree there do appears a white feather chick, could it be a fawncheek/greycheek? or possibly a cfw or possibly a isabel type??

do you know the parentage of either parent?

Dave

Hi Kevin

You can have a Sliver/fawn cock but not a Fawn/silver as silver can not be carried hidden like fawn,also you can not get a Silver/fawn a hen as hen can not carry fawn with it being sexlinked.

Paul.

If i were a gambling man i would say

4 Fawn hens

1 Normal could be either cock or hen if cock possible split for Fawn and CFW

1 CFW hen

Paul.

hi dave,

The pale lookin chick i would say is defo a silver he looks alot lighter than his father, plus the 4 fawns all look the same must be the camera. I will be adding pictures when left nest. I have read your wanted add will be in touch.

Chris

Hi Chris

Its like you say its probably just the photo you will have a better idea as you can see the real thing,i use to breed Silvers and Silver lightbacks lovely birds and such a variation in the dilution from bird to bird.

Paul.

hi paul,

I do like the silvers to be honest, i have males and females of the silver colour and you can tell they are all dif in colour. I have herd they hard to match the colour up to get them on the bench. Do they have to be identical to each other.

Chris